Search This Blog and Its Links

Friday, July 3, 2015

The Last Three Grateful Dead Concerts Ever




I love the Grateful Dead. Ever since high school (early '70s), they have been one of my favorite bands. I won't go into some long winded history lesson about this bunch of misfits that scaled the heights of the music industry, but I will say that their influence on music, our society and technology has been profound. Don't believe me? Do your own research. You'll be surprised.

After their figurehead and ersatz leader, Jerry Garcia, died 20 years ago this summer, the remaining band members meandered through various other musical adventures, but nothing had the impact of their original group.

Now after retiring the name, they've decided to celebrate the 50 anniversary of the band that was like no other, in style. Last weekend they played two "warm-up" shows in Santa Clara, California. This weekend, there will be three sold-out shows in Chicago. I got shut out of buying tickets (thanks Ticket Bastard scalpers!), but I'll be watching all three shows with friends as we all say goodbye to something with such great meaning that my eyes are tearing up as I write these words.

Below is a vid of Morning Dew, the set closer of last Saturday's show. And I highly recommend that you get a live-stream of at least one of this weekends performances.

There is nothing like a Grateful Dead show.

No comments:

Post a Comment