Search This Blog and Its Links

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Fun Time! The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga!

As a youngster, I loved animated cartoons (still do!) and Astro Boy was a real favorite. Kimba the White Lion and Speed Racer were also high on my list of "foreign films" that I watched every day.

My daughter-in-law is also a big fan, but more so of the comics. Recently I came across this on Kevin Kelly's Wink Books website (thanks, Kevin!) and thought it would make a nice present for her, so I purchased it through Amazon.

Osamu Tezuka was a Japanese cartoonist, animator, film producer, and washe creator of the comics series Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion.  Black Jack. His prolific output, pioneering techniques, and innovative redefinitions of genres earned him the honor of being "the god of manga". He is considered to be the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney.

This gorgeous, sumptuous coffee table is just stunning, packed with examples of Tezuka's life work. When I received the first copy, I knew I had to have one for my own library, so I immediately ordered a second copy.

I don't often hawk products here, but if you enjoy animation and Japanese animation in particular, this wonderful book is a must-have.

Bonus Fun!: The book includes a DVD 45-minute DVD documentary covering Tezuka’s career, from his early manga characters to his later animation work!

No comments:

Post a Comment