Search This Blog and Its Links

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Think Twice About The Singularity And Immortality

Ah yes, "The Singularity." Ray Kurzweil's dream of ending mortality, when humanity is fully integrated with computers. I've always considered the notion a fool's errand.

Now I have support from none other the Joichi Ito, the director of MIT's Media Lab.

"I'm on the other side of the singularity guys. I don't think immortality is a good thing," Ito said. People who think about maximizing efficiency "don't think about the ecological, social-network effects. In the future, every science invention we do should be at least neutral," and preferably positive. "When you introduce immortality, you have to think about what does it do to the system."

I couldn't have said it better. If you'd like to read the entire article as it was posted on CNET, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment